Getting On The Property Ladder Shared Ownership

Shared ownership schemes are another way you can get onto the property ladder in a very difficult market. The schemes allow you to purchase more of the property over time, giving you the financial advantage that you do not need to buy the entire property at once. You will be sharing the ownership of your flat or house with a housing association. Shared ownership schemes are easily applied for via your local HomeBuy agent or the HomeBuy agent in the region that you wish to move to. Simply fill out the form they give you and then you will be able to explore properties and options from there onwards.


With a shared ownership scheme you will initially purchase a percentage share in the property, this can range from 25% to 75% of the property’s full value. The property will always be leasehold, this means that you will own the property for a fixed length of time and in most cases, this term is set at 99 years. The housing association will own the remaining share of your home, and you will have to pay them to rent on this share, it will generally be 3% of the value of that share.


Buying More of Your Property


If you wish to buy an extra percentage of your property, this is possible, and if you wish to purchase your house outright, this is also possible. At any point at which you wish to buy another share in the property, the property will be valued at the current market value. This may mean that you have to pay more for the next share you buy than you did for the first share.


Selling Your Property


You must write to the housing association linked to your home if you wish to sell it on. It is possible to sell on your property at any time at all. If you own a share in your home the housing association may wish to find a buyer for it, they have this right. However, if you own 100% of your home, there is a different process. Firstly you must offer to sell the house back to the housing association, they have the ‘right of first refusal’ they will either purchase the property back, or the will decline at which point you are free to sell the property on yourself. The housing association has this right for 21 years after the date you buy your property outright.…

Searching For Property In The UK

There are many possibilities for accommodation in the United Kingdom. The choice of one type or another will be determined, among others, for the duration of your stay in the country, for the reason of your trip and your economic level.

Types of accommodation

Student residences

This is one of the preferred options for the thousands of students who move to the UK every year to learn English. This type of housing is indicated explicitly for students who prefer a more independent methodology, so they choose to stay in student residences. Residences for students are usually clean but straightforward accommodations, almost always, comfortable and with shared bathroom with other students. Depending on the student residence that is hired, you can choose a room for one person or if you go with a friend to a place for two people. Some apartments offer breakfasts or dinners, and others are self-service.

Accommodation in the house of an English family

This is another typical option to choose for English students in the United Kingdom. Living with an English family can be one of the best ways to develop English language skills as well as put into practice what you have learned in class. With this type of accommodation, you can enjoy the comfort of a private home and fully immerse yourself in English life and culture. It is also the most economical option; although it can be perhaps a bit boring about accommodation in student residences.…

Apartments / Houses For Rent

Depending on where you are looking, finding large, quality homes/houses can be complicated and, above all, very expensive. Furnished apartments, entirely or partially, for short-term rental are usually extraordinarily expensive. The highest rents are paid in London and the South East of England. As the rents are lower the farther you live from the center of the city; it is convenient to decide to what extent a long journey to work compensates you. In London, many people work at the center, and it takes more than an hour to get to and from work.

Shared Flats/Houses

The houses of multiple occupancies consist of dwellings with different rooms with a series of common areas that are shared by the tenants of the various places. Common areas can be as crucial as bathrooms and kitchens, but can also be just stairs or storage rooms.


A bedsit, also known as bed-sitting room, is a form of common rental housing in Great Britain and Ireland that consists of a single room and shared bathroom, they are part of a legal category of houses called Houses of multiple occupancies. The bedsits arose from the subdivision of larger homes into small, low-cost rooms.


A studio, also known as studio-flat in the United Kingdom, is a small apartment, which combines the living room, bedroom, and kitchenette in a single unit, except the bathroom. In the United Kingdom, a study usually connects bedroom, living room, kitchen, and bathroom, although in many cases the bathroom is shared and is outside, sometimes having an individual shower in the studio.

Live-in building guardians

Through companies of ‘guardians,’ you can rent flats, houses, and buildings whose owners do not want them to be empty, for reasons of security and maintenance. The rental of this type of property is much cheaper and usually occurs mainly in London.